Cooper Island Beach Club is committed to supporting sustainable tourism in the British Virgin Islands.
- 208 Photovoltaic panels produce over 75% of our electricity
- Efficient Solar water heaters supply hot water to all showers
- Rainwater is collected from rooftops and our cisterns can hold 250,000 gallons
- Our water treatment plant recycles waste water into 1000gals of clean irrigation water daily
- Guest rooms are not air-conditioned but fan-cooled, with louvered windows and a cupola roof
- Guests are encouraged to support our laundry reduction scheme and re-use their towels
- We use eco-friendly detergent, cleaning products and organic, paraben-free guest amenities
- Our hypo-allergenic guest pillows and mattress covers are made from recycled plastic bottles
- Restaurant disposables such as cups, straws & boxes are made from corn, not plastic
- We do not serve bottled water but produce our own drinking water to World Health Organization standards
- Furniture throughout the resort is made from recycled teak wood including reclaimed fishing boats
- We compost organic waste and the kitchen garden grows herbs, vegetables & fruit to help reduce imports.
practical and profitable model for the youth of the BVI to integrate into their daily lives.
For a greener, cleaner and healthier British Virgin Islands
The project brings the principles of sustainability:
- create food gardens and promote self-sufficiency
- promote composting and demonstrating that ‘waste’ is a resource
- rehabilitate and maintain the natural environment
- promote the aesthetic, ecological, historical and cultural value of BVI gardens, past & present
- promote an understanding of the value of indigenous plants and the principles of permaculture
- encourage entrepreneurship and demonstrate agriculture & horticulture as feasible businesses
- serve as a catalyst for further sustainable projects in schools and communities in the territory
If you would like to support our efforts with the Garden Project please help by participating in Pack for a Purpose.
Pack for a Purpose is a charitable organization that allows travelers like you to make a lasting impact in the community at your travel destination. If you save some space in your suitcase and bring supplies for a school, clinic or project in need, you’ll make a priceless impact in the lives of our local children and families.